Last updated 05/06/2015
Here you will find information from the Field Search Steering Committee’s efforts to find a new flying field. We are all in this together! The Steering Committee is made up of club members interested in furthering our club, hobby and community. All have full time jobs and family obligations, but together with your help, we will find a new location so that we ALL can continue to enjoy this wonderful hobby.
- We will do our best to update the as new information becomes available and post on the Updates tab (located to the left).
- We will endeavor to answer your questions in a timely manor and post updates on the FAQs tab (located to the left).
- We strive to provide better communication to our members and community.
Georgia Model Aviators is seeking property for lease that can accommodate our club of 350+ members to:
- 25 Years / 350 Members
- Children thru Seniors
- Current location for 11 years:
- 8250 Old Federal Rd
- Ball Ground, GA 30107
- Non-profit 501(c7)
- National recognition of members
- Charter AMA club
- Academy of Model Aeronautics - Muncie IN
- Official national body for model aviation in the United States
- More than 2,500 model airplane clubs across the country
- Membership of more than 150,000
- Self-supporting - non-profit organization
- Promotion and development of model aviation
- Safety regulations
- Provides liaison with the Federal Aviation Administration, the Federal Communications Commission, and other government agencies
Field Operations Layout:
- Official AMA Safety Code is the governing factor
- No landings or takeoffs from the taxi area
- Barriers designed to stop taxiing models from veering into pilot or spectator positions
- Pilot line set back from runway edge for safety
- Public notice signs to be posted
- Safety equipment available
- 2,000’ x 500’ Overfly Area per guidelines
- Additional 250’ safety zone is desirable
- Flight area clear of potential hazards
- Alternate site layouts (parallel runways, cross runways, etc.) are possible
- 43 acres of overfly area desired
- GMA would work with the governing agency/land owner to develop a site plan, based on the available land, its size, shape, and surroundings
- GMA would be allowed to make site improvements at their own expense (governing proper approval).
- Runway / pit area / pilot stations
- Shelter (shade/wind/sun…)
- Parking area
- Spectator area
- With proper planning and execution, with support from the responsible agency/land owner and the GMA, the site could become a “destination” for visitors and tourists.
Last updated 04/147/2018
04/14/2018 Field Search Update
Some positive news to report! We are currently underway with detailed diligence of a 100+ acre tract of land East of our current location. We are not fully disclosing the location particulars unitl we are further along with owner, government and development conversations. Below is an idea of potential size of the new location (new parcel in red, old GMA in yellow):
Last updated 05/06/2015
Frequently Asked Questions:
- What is the current status of GMA’s flying facility?
- GMA’s lease with Forsyth County’s Old Federal Road facility ends on December 31, 2017. Between now and the end of 2017, there will be no known disruption to our flying facility.
- What is the action plan?
- Our action plan is two-fold:
- First, we will continue our efforts to extend the lease beyond 2017. This includes meetings and negotiations with Ken Jarrard and the County Commission as well as attending and participating in County Work Sessions and Board Meetings.
- How does this affect me as a member?
- First and foremost, there will be no disruption to service. Continue to use our facility as you have in the past. If relocating becomes necessary, we will plan a smooth transition and your membership status will not be affected.
- How can I help right now?
- Speak up if you have ideas or knowledge of suitable property.
- Do we have any new limitations flying on Old Federal Road?
- We have no new limitations or rules. We are expected to follow GMA club rules and AMA rules as usual.
- I know of possible new property for GMA. Who do I contact?
- How much land to we seek?
- Our committee is looking for 60+/- acres of relatively flat land.
Additional documents and information: